Friday, April 10, 2009

DOCS Charity

I hope everyone had a nice week. I spent my week mostly recovering from my lung surgery last Friday by getting rest at home and taking some walks. I was feeling some pain and discomfort where the incision was made, but overall it's not too bad. The last few days I was feeling well enough to go into my office, so I did that, but it was very tiring. I will be having my follow-up appointment with my surgeon early next week to make sure everything on my body is still where it's supposed to be and in working order....that was my sad attempt to make a joke.

I have never posted about a specific charitable organization before, but I came across one in particular after reading an article in the LA Times that I thought looked really impressive. Please note that by bringing it up on my blog, I am merely trying to build awareness for it. I am not affiliated with it, and I don't know anything about it other than what I've read in the LA Times and on the charity's website.

DOCS Charity
, or Doctors Offering Charitable Services, is based in the San Diego area. According to their website, "DOCS was founded by a team of talented surgeons to assist with the healthcare burden of the needy population within our own and neighboring communities. DOCS consists of a group of highly specialized physicians, each with their own sub-specialty."

Another excerpt, "DOCS has teamed up with various local organizations to raise awareness about their organization. Patients introduced to DOCS include victims of accidents, abuse, war, and devastating diseases. Often denied benefits by insurance companies, due to the "cosmetic" nature of their conditions, these patients were left without any hope."

I became interested in DOCS after reading a story in the LA Times about the work they have been able to do for a girl named Anne Rodante, who lives in the greater LA area. I have linked to this story here .

As I said, I don't know anything about this charity other than what I read about it in the LA Times and on its website, but it seems like a very talented group of people doing some amazing selfless work. It doesn't seem like this is an organization with a lot of volunteering opportunities (unless you're handy with a scapel), but if anyone is interested, let me know because I am looking into it.

I have included the link to the DOCS Charity website in my "cancer research websites" section of this blog (on the right column under "daily motivating quotes"). There are a few other organizations there I like which you might want to check out.

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: