Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Busy Morning

I have a few moments right now in between appointments to post a quick update. This morning I had to go to the hospital to get an abdominal CT scan done. One lesion was spotted in my lung last week, and we need to ensure that there are no other visible signs of disease anywhere else in the body before we proceed with treatment. The existence of multiple lesions would rule out local treatment options such as surgery or localized radiation to treat the lung lesion.

This afternoon I'm going out to downtown LA to meet with a radiation oncologist to discuss the possibility of using something called cyber-knife radiation to fry this tumor. Cyber-knife is an advanced form of targeted radiation that would be able to focus large amounts of radiation on a very small area. This option would be far less invasive than surgery, but possibly not as effective. I have heard opinions on both sides of the debate, and as usual, its up to me and my family to make the decision. Considering the fact my family's combined medical training is 2 years of pharmacy school going on 3(thanks bro), I'm not sure we should be the ones deciding here. But we have faith that we will make the right decisions.

I feel pretty good today. I'm a bit anxious as I don't know how the rest of these next two weeks will play out, but I've learned that stressing out about them won't get me anywhere. In fact, it will probably set me back.

I hope everyone is having a good day. If not, at least be thankful you're not soaked in arctic ice water! Be well...

2 comments:

Mufaddal said...

The penguin clip is so CG

NS said...

I'm saying it's real. I'd like to think a penguin would slap another penguin