Thursday, March 19, 2009

Don't let the Problems Stop You from Enjoying Life

I just got back from visiting with my medical oncologist and I'm about as confused as one can be. Yesterday, after meeting with a radiation oncologist, I was very close to going forward with the cyber-knife treatment option. Today, I am back on the fence as my oncologist, a man I trust, reiterated his strong support for surgical resection. The basic argument is that surgery has a long and well-established track record for treating my disease, but cyber-knife does not. So it's not that cyber-knife is a bad option, it's that it may be slightly less effective.

I'm going to spend almost all of the next few days deciding which way to go. Notice I said almost all. This is because tonight, my beloved Michigan Wolverines will play in their first NCAA basketball tournament game since 1998, a couple years before I became a student there. For those of you who don't follow college basketball closely, especially Michigan basketball, this has been a very long drought, and today's game represents a significant milestone in our return to college hoops relevancy. I've been waiting for this day a long time, and I'm not going to let all the other nonsense in my life affect my ability to enjoy this game.

So for two hours tonight, I am going to sit back and enjoy watching my team play. I don't care if we win or lose. Yes, there is a lot of bad stuff going on in my life, and I could just stay stressed out and depressed 24/7, but that's how you miss enjoying the great moments.

I've learned that you can't let your problems in life stop you from enjoying the special moments. At the end of the day, regardless of whether you live 100 years or 40 years, it's the special moments that you'll truly savor. If you let those pass you by while you obsess over what's wrong in your life, you'll have nothing to remember at the end. So no matter what is happening in your life, if something good comes along, take a minute, set aside your problems, and enjoy the moment.

Go Blue!!

No comments: