Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Moving Forward

Yesterday's afternoon consultation I had with the radiation oncologist to discuss the possibility of using cyber-knife radiation to treat my current lung lesion went very well. I am very close to moving forward with that option instead of surgery. The doctor was a very pleasant, intelligent and experienced man who spoke with confidence, something not many doctors like to do. It's always nice when a doctor seems more confident because it gives the patient confidence, and having confidence goes a long way in helping you maintain a positive attitude.

Cyber-knife radiation, a targeted form of radiation which focuses a large amount of radiation on a very small area of the body, is truly a remarkable technological breakthrough. The radiation beam is actually able to adjust for the natural movements in the lungs caused by breathing in and out. This means that the beam is always hitting the exact tumor location- always. To me that sounds pretty incredible.

Tomorrow I'm going to circle back with my medical oncologist and try to get everyone on the same page. He made it clear to me on Monday that he supports surgery, and the difference of opinion does make this a tough choice. But based on what I've heard thus far, I believe that cyber-knife will be equally as effective as surgery, and obviously much less invasive. And, considering the fact that I've already been through a major lung surgery, I'd like to avoid another one if possible.

That's all I got for today. Tonight I'm pushing the off button on the stress machine, sitting down and watching my favorite show Lost. I highly recommend you do the same.

Be well...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I appreciate your supportive words and I'm glad to hear you're doing well.Cancer Treatment that is Precise and Accurate, yet not a Cure.according to the CyberKnife Society, because the high-energy beamed x-rays that the CyberKnife delivers are extremely precise and treatment is fractionated,